This question was sent to me via our free Personal Gear Guru service by Mike, asking about using two Master C-Stand Kits to support a roll of seamless background paper.
Can two Master 40-in C Stand with Turtle Base Kit be used to support a paper background roll. If they can, what kind of load can they support. In one of your online videos, you use light stands with arms to support a paper background roll.
A: GEAR GURU
Hey Mike,Yes. Two 40″ Master C-Stand with Turtle Base Kits can support any roll up to 44 lb. (20 kg) in weight (each stand has a load capacity of 22 lb. (10 kg). This would include even the 12′ wide seamless from Savage. A couple of things to keep in consideration:
- Always place the large leg in line with the roll of seamless (paper background roll).
- Use at least one 15 lb. sandbag on each stand to prevent tipping
- Remember the “Righty Tighty” Rule. The load must always go to the right side of the grip head when the handle is facing you. This means that on one stand the handle of the grip head will be facing the camera and on the other, the handle of the grip head will be facing behind the background.
- You can always secure the background to the grip arms with a couple of medium, 2″ “A” Clamps. But you will need a ladder to unroll and re-roll the paper. To make your life easier, especially in a studio situation, you may want to consider the Paper Drive Baby Stand Adapters – Sold as a pair (KG084911) http://www.kupogrip.com/paper-drive-baby-stand-adapter/ and a Background Paper Drive Set (KG084411) http://www.kupogrip.com/background-paper-drive-set/ that will allow you to raise and lower the paper comfortably from the ground.
- Last but not least, if you plan on leaving a large roll of paper suspended, to avoid the core from bending due to gravity, every day the paper should be given half a turn.I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can help you any further.Thanks!Jason – Your Gear GuruQ: MIKEJason,Thanks for the really useful info. One last question, if you use the paper drive set what is actually going thru the paper tube is it an arm or a pole?One suggestion I have is why not sell a paper support system as a complete kit, then I don’t have figure out all the parts I need to order.Thanks,MikeA: GEAR GURUHey Mike,The Paper Drive Set expands into the cardboard core of the paper roll. If you are going to use this method, you wouldn’t even need grip arms or grip heads, just the two stands and you would be good to go.As far as creating a kit for the Paper Drive System, it’s an excellent idea. There are just so many combinations (using them with Light Stands or Kupoles, using a single roll versus a three rolls on a multi-bracket, etc.) that it’s a challenge to find the most popular kits for everybody’s needs. I’ll be adding new products and updating the catalog and website towards the end of the summer. I’ll definitely take you suggestion in consideration and see if I can create a couple of kits.Thanks!Jason